The winner of the award will receive:
- $20,000 cash
- Acquisition of the winning prototype by the Art Gallery of South Australia1
- A residency within the JamFactory Furniture Studio (including travel and up to four weeks accommodation) to develop a design through to commercial production2
- Distribution of the resulting product or product range through Stylecraft’s showrooms throughout Australia and Singapore3
- Professional photo shoot of the resulting product or product range
- Royalties on sales of the resulting product or product range at an above-industry rate of 7.5% of wholesale4
- Accounting, legal and intellectual property advice
From entries submitted online, six finalists will be chosen by a high profile national judging panel.
Prototype pieces by the finalists will be exhibited at Stylecraft’s Adelaide showroom in July 2017 when the inaugural winner of the award will be announced.
The exhibition of finalists’ works will be shown in Stylecraft showrooms in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra and Perth over the following 12 months.
Entries can be submitted on-line between now and the closing date, 22 May 2017.
- The award is open to emerging and established designers who are Australian citizens based anywhere in the world or designers of any nationality who have Residency status in Australia.
- Designers may only submit one entry.
- Entries must be received by 11:59pm AEST, 22 May 2017 unless stated otherwise by the organisers.
- The entered product must not be subject to any current manufacturing agreements.
- Upon submission, the Entrant warrants that the design is their original and individual work.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If selected as a finalist, a prototype of the entered product must be available for exhibition from 5 June 2017.
- Entrants acknowledge their submissions, including images, may be used for publicity purposes, and that they may be contacted for comment by authorised representatives of the awards or the general media.
Judges will focus on the following criteria in priority order:
- Originality of design
- Level of innovation
- Suitability of design for intended function or purpose
- Quality and finish of prototype
- Commercial viability
Based on the information provided through the on-line entry process, six finalists will be chosen by the judging panel and announced on 5 June 2017.
The judging panel will meet again on 2 July 2017 to examine the actual prototypes and interview the finalists in order to select the winner.
Judges for 2015 are:
Jon Goulder, Creative Director Furniture Design Studio – JamFactory (SA)
Tony Russell, National Product and Brand Manager – Stylecraft remove (VIC)
Nick Mitzevich, Director – Art Gallery of South Australia (SA)
Fenella Kernebone, Presenter – ABC By Design (NSW)
Rosina Di Maria, Principal – Woods Bagot (SA)
The winner will be announced at a high profile industry event in Adelaide on 3 July 2017.
The Judging Panel will assess all entries against the stated criteria. Each judge has been selected for their knowledge and experience, and for their willingness to volunteer and commit time to a non-paid role as judge of the Australian Furniture Design Award.
The Judging Panel reserves the right to refuse an entry that does not comply with all applicable entry criteria.
Judging Panel’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.